The place of calm & reflection… a few kilometers away from Vermaaklikheid on a snaky gravel road,
and … welcome back to the spirit of PUNTJIE
As die stilte loer om elke draai
En die dagbreek soek ‘n pierewaai
Want jy skyn die lig Vermaaklikheid,… rondom my
Die een wat deur my hart in kruip,… somber vry
Soetmelk – ‘Vermaaklikheid’
Our ‘going nowhere slowly’ place, a strict commitment to peace & tranquility.
Carrot & Cabbage crunch
1 cup Shredded cabbage, green or purple,
depending on your mood
1 cup Fresh carrots
1 cup Good quality mayonnaise
Sprinkle salt and pepper
Mix all ingredients together. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Adding a combination of purple and green cabbage can really improve the visual. Adding Chinese cabbage will take it to a whole new level. Your carrots need to be really fresh – rather pay more and get it crisp! If you are making something with an Asian feel – add half a teaspoon of peanut butter and fresh chopped chili to your mayo.
1 cup Sour cream
1 cup Greek yogurt
1 cup Cucumber – cut into small blocks
1 clove Garlic, chopped up
Squeeze of lemon
Fresh chopped mint and parsley
Fresh chopped red chili, with seeds
Mix together. This can last up to 3 days in the fridge before it starts to go a little ‘’watery’’. You can remove the seeds in the cucumber if you want to – up to you! All the seeds do is it makes it more watery. This tzatziki is great with everything, even burgers. Grilled chicken, tzatziki, sundried tomato. (Your mouth is already in Greece) Garnish with chopped mint, parsley, and red chili
Butternut, Cauli & Chickpea salad
1 Medium sized butternut, cut into cubes
1 head Cauliflower
1 can Chickpeas, drained
1 Onion sliced into wedges
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Cup cooked wholewheat couscous
Cook Butternut until soft. (do not overcook, otherwise, your salad will be very mushy). In a pan – heat some olive oil and add cauliflower. Fry on low heat for about 5 minutes until half cooked. Remove from the pan and keep aside until you are ready to assemble your masterpiece.
In the same pan – add another dash of olive oil and add spices. Fry for 5 minutes and add drained chickpeas. Fry for 2 minutes and remove from pan. Add this to your cauliflower and butternut family.
In the same pan (yes the same ) – add 3 tablespoons of canola oil and add onion. Fry on low heat for 20 minutes until soft and caramelized
Now to assemble your masterpiece: gently mix all ingredients together – keep some of the chickpeas aside and garnish on top with LOADS of fresh coriander.
Fish and Chips
Fish and Chips
This is not actually a method…but rather a few tips. Different strokes for different folks.
- The person cleaning the fish needs to know what he or she is doing, otherwise, you waste a lot of this precious jewel from the ocean
- Sharp knife is key – invest
- ‘’Coating’’ the fish can be done in 2 different ways. No way is wrong. You can either dip it into the egg first and then into flour mix or first dip it into flour and then into the egg
- Using a rubbish bin bag help with the dipping of the flour step – no mess afterwards
- Add extra flavour into your flour – spice/ fresh herbs/ salt/ pepper
- Your pan must be hot and happening
- Don’t rush the process and turn the fish the entire time – let it do its thing on its own time
- Squeeze fresh lemon at the end
- Use quality potato for your chips – fit for purpose. Look on the potato bag when you buy it what potato variety it is.
- Cooking the potato before can help save some time and it will be less oily
If you are not worried about the calories…then ensure your oil is enough to cover all your potatoes – otherwise, it will go ‘’soggy’’ and not crispy